Remember Cory, the Cory Way
August 5, 2009 § Leave a comment
We grieve because today will be the last time that we will see Cory. We grieve because deep in our hearts, we realized that we just lost a great soul.
Yes, some of us probably do not agree with her politics. Some would even say that her administration was a failure. Yet, we all agree that, in that moment in our History, we were led by someone who exemplified what the Filipino really stands for.
We stand for full worship and faith with God. Cory was everything Filipino. Some of us would say, Cory has this near fatalistic attitude, similar to many of us. Yet, everyone agrees that, Cory was never a fatalist. Her strong faith in God was what made her utter words that everyone, especially those who face toughest challenges, normally invoke, ” Bahala na”.
We are natural Samaritans. Inherent within us is that genetic character of helping others in need. Cory was the First among us to do the right things.
We are an honest and honorable people. And we always do the right things.
Today, we bid farewell to the one person that, through her life, taught us how to really live. We say our goodbyes to a person who, through her own life, directed us to do good things and with excellence. We say our final greetings to a person who taught us that being Filipino is never shameful and what we must be ashamed of is if we forget our “Filipino-ness” and allowed evil to reign.
We, who are left here, must do the right thing—act with dispatch and correct the wrongs of History. It is our fate as a united Nation to fight those who continues to promote evil like this regime.
Today, I write the learnings I believe God wanted us to know from Cory’s example. Remember her by being like her. In our own simple ways, do things, the Cory Way.
Kartilya ni Tita Cory (The Cory Way)
1. Mahalin natin ang Dios ng higit sa ating sarili. (Love God above oneself)
2. Tulungan natin ang ating kapwa-tao bilang pagsamba sa Dios. ( Worship God by helping others.)
3. Magbigay galang sa ating mga magulang at sa mga nakatatanda sa atin. (Respect one’s parents and those who are ahead of us in age.)
4. Igalang natin ang ating kapwa gaya ng paggalang natin sa ating Dios at sa ating sarili. (Respect others as we respect our God and our own selves.)
5. Gawin natin ng tama at may husay ang mga bagay na ating ipinangakong gagawin. (Do all the right things we vowed to do and with excellence)
6. Gawin natin ang tama at makatarungan sa kabila ng kasamaan. (Do the right things and justly inspite of evil.)
7. Maging ilaw tayo sa mga taong nalilihis ng landas. (Be the Light for others.)
8. Kung tayo’y manunungkulan sa serbisyo ng Inang Bayan, gawin natin ang karapat-dapat nang walang pagiimbot at may tibay sa katapatan. (If we serve the Motherland, do the right things with utmost resolve and honesty.)
9. Kung tayo’y nasasa pampublikong pasyalan, huwag nating pitasin ni isang talulot ng bulaklak. (If we go to public parks, do not even pluck a petal from a flower.)
10. Maging dakila sa paggawa ng kabutihan at ialay natin ang ating mga sarili sa paglilingkod sa nakararami. (Honor yourself by doing good and sacrifice yourself to the service of the People.)
11. Sundin natin ang tama at makatarungan at talikdan ang mga bagay na makasasama sa karamihan. (Obey what is right and just and deter from doing bad things that might harm others.)
12. Itama natin ang mali at gawing tama ang paggawa ng katarungan sa lahat ng panahon. Labanan ang mga mapang-api at mga nang-aalipin.( Rectify the wrongs and it is always right to do things with justice every single time. Fight the oppressors and those who enslave us.)